Results from AJC’s Survey of Israeli Millennial Jews, a part of AJC’s Surveys of American and Israeli Millennial Jews, conducted by the research company GeoCartography, are based on online surveys carried out February 14 – February 22, 2022, with a national sample of 1000 Millennial Israeli Jews (defined between the ages of 25-40). The margin of error is +/- 3.0%, at a statistical significance level of 95%. AJC is a non-partisan organization that neither supports nor endorses candidates for elective offices.
1. Are you interested in having a deeper relationship with the Jewish American community?
|Not so much||20.4%|
|Not at all||4.9%|
|I don't know||14.7%|
2. If you knew an Israeli action could cause harm to the American Jewish community, what would your reaction be?
|Send help to the community||10.8%|
|Protest in front of the government||3.8%|
|Protest on social media||11.6%|
|Be interested in reading more about the topic||41.5%|
|I would do nothing||32.4%|
3. According to AJC's 2021 Antisemitism in America report, 1 of every 4 American Jews said they experienced antisemitism in the last year. How much attention do you dedicate to the state of antisemitism in America?
|Quite a lot||45.5%|
|Not at all||6.4%|
|I don't know||5.8%|
4. To what degree do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Israel should consider the wellbeing of American Jews in making its policy decisions?"
|Quite a lot||25.6%|
|Not at all||20.0%|
|I don't know||8.5%|
5. Looking ahead five years, do you think that the ties between American and Israeli Jews will be…
|Stronger than today||32.4%|
|Weaker than today||24.1%|
|About the same as today||43.6%|
6. How important is it that the American Jewish community and Israel maintain close ties?
|Not too important||5.5%|
|Not at all important||1.1%|
|I don't know||4.3%|
7a. Do you think a strong State of Israel is necessary to the survival of the Jewish people outside Israel?
|Not too necessary||9.9%|
|Not at all necessary||2.4%|
|I don't know||7.8%|
7b. Do you think a strong Jewish community outside of Israel is necessary to the survival of Israel?
|Not too necessary||18.0%|
|Not at all necessary||4.0%|
|I don't know||8.5%|
8. How appropriate is it for American Jews to try to influence Israeli policy?
|Not too appropriate||43.4%|
|Not at all appropriate||26.2%|
|I don't know||7.8%|
9. How much responsibility, if any, do you feel you personally have to help fellow Jews in the U.S.?
|A great deal||8.9%|
|None at all||17.7%|
|I don't know||10.2%|
10. Do you believe that a viable solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is possible?
|I don't know||19.9%|
10a. Which of the following outcomes would you most favor?
Among those that believe that a viable solution is possible
|Two independent Israeli and Palestinian states living side by side||51.5%|
|One bi-national state with a single government elected||5.4%|
|Israeli annexation of the West Bank leading to an extension of Israeli sovereignty, but in which Palestinians have a unique civil status and are represented by Palestinian municipal leaders||18.8%|
|Status quo management of the conflict||6.3%|
|I don't know||6.3%|
|None of the above||11.7%|
11. Which of the following definitions best describe your connection to Judaism?
|Judaism is a religion, a faith||37.8%|
|Judaism is a culture, a cultural identity||23.2%|
|Judaism is an ethnicity||12.4%|
|Judaism is a nationality||20.1%|
|I don't know/ none of the above||3.4%|
12. How important is speaking Hebrew to Jewish identity?
|Not too necessary||13.2%|
|Not at all necessary||3.0%|
|I don't know||3.0%|
13. Throughout your life, have you ever learned about the Jewish Diaspora? If yes, where?
|Youth movement or extracurriculars||9.7%|
|In a program with American participants (Taglit-Birthright, etc.)||9.7%|
|Working with the American Jewish Community (shlihut - cultural emissary work, volunteering, gap year)||3.8%|
|Resided in the U.S. for an extended period||3.4%|
|TV and film||26.3%|
|None of the above||24.8%|
14. Using the metaphor of a family, do you consider American Jews as your…
|Not part of my family||10.5%|