Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The Senior Accountant will contribute to overall goals of organization by providing timely and accurate financial information and outstanding customer service. The Senior Accountant reports to the Finance Manager and supports the overall role of the Accounting Department in ensuring that organization operates with timely and accurate financial information. He/she contributes to the overall goals of the organization by providing timely and accurate financial information and outstanding customer service. The Senior Accountant will support the responsibilities of the Controller and Assistant Controller in maintaining excellent financial reporting, tightly managed and controlled costs, and a balanced operating budget.
The Senior Accountant monitors the organization’s Endowment and Retirement Plan and is responsible for providing timely and accurate investment reporting. He/she will be cross-trained on several functions within the Finance Department and will serve as an official backup in the areas of gift processing and payroll.
The Senior Accountant does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Endowment and Retirement Plan
- Communicate with custodians, fund managers and consultants about AJC’s investments, inclusive of rebalancing efforts at the directive of AJC’s Investment Committee
- Perform investment reconciliation and roll-forward monthly for the Endowment and Retirement Plan
- Prepare monthly adjustments recording AJC’s endowment distribution and changes in fair market value
Monthly Financial Closing
- Assist with recording transactions related to Concur, International offices and other investments
Budgeting and Reporting
- Work with the Finance Manager in preparing selected AJC programmatic and support departments budget reports
- Provide monthly financial reports, including variance analysis and have ongoing dialog with department heads, serving as a financial partner
- Assist in preparation of annual departmental budgets
Qualifications and core competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and CPA preferred
- A minimum of five years of finance or accounting experience (non-profit industry and auditing background encouraged)
- Strong technical accounting skills with a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Financial Reporting (audited financial statements and management reporting)
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to creatively and proactively solve problems
- Respect for and adherence to confidentiality is required
- Possess project management skills
- Well-developed customer service orientation
- A self-starter, willing to take initiative
- A team player, as well as able to work independently
- Ability to work effectively under pressure & adapt to change
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs
- Highly proficient in Microsoft software and accounting software
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, vision, and dental plans
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) – 15 vacation days per year, that increases with continued employment
- Paid Holidays (many Federal and major Jewish Holidays)
- Hybrid work schedule
- 403(b) participation, after one year of employment
- Transit plan
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000.
AJC requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19, unless one has a legally recognized reason for exemption.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/s1wz5bdh1ojeumw/