New York, NY
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe, and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The Senior Accountant contributes to the overall goals of the organization by providing timely and accurate financial information and outstanding customer service. The Senior Accountant will support the Controller and Assistant Controller in maintaining excellent financial reporting, tightly managed and controlled costs, and a balanced operating budget.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for preparing budget management reports at the Departmental level. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will prepare monthly closing account and financial analyses, inclusive of monthly journal entries. Lastly, the Senior Accountant will be asked to participate in the financial budgeting process and special projects (i.e. compliance reports & non-profit surveys).
The Senior Accountant does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Monthly Financial Closing
- Assist the Assistant Controller and Controller in the monthly closing of the AJC books, including revenue and for selected departments;
- Responsible for completing the weekly revenue results report with variance explanations which is submitted to various managers and senior management staff within Finance and Development;
- Responsible for recording accrued event expenses based on estimates and adjusting those estimates to actuals weekly;
- Assist the Assistant Controller with the monthly revenue report which is the subject of discussion at monthly meetings;
- Primary liaison to the departments for Concur expense-reporting software;
- Review and reconcile monthly AMEX reports from AMEX cardholders and ensure charges are accurately coded. Record monthly activities in FundEz;
- Review, reconcile and record monthly activities for AJC international offices;
- Record monthly activities for charitable gift annuities;
- Responsible for ensuring grants are accounted for properly, inclusive of tracking/gathering of information for the 990;
- Maintain fixed asset supporting schedules (inclusive of depreciation calculations) on a monthly basis. Must establish a good working relationship with both the facilities department and accounts payable to ensure costs requiring capitalization are identified;
- Be a resource for staff, and serve as the backup in the absence of said staff in preparing bank reconciliations.
Budgeting and Reporting of AJC Programmatic and Support Departments
- Assist the Assistant Controller in preparing selected AJC programmatic and support departments;
- Provide monthly financial reports, including variance analysis and have ongoing dialog with department heads, serving as a financial partner;
- Work with the department heads to understand financial results in order to tightly control costs and identify cost savings opportunities;
- Assist in preparation of annual departmental budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and CPA preferred
- A minimum of five years of finance or accounting experience (non-profit industry and auditing background encouraged)
- Strong technical accounting skills with a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Financial Reporting (audited financial statements and management reporting)
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to creatively and proactively solve problems
- Respect for and adherence to confidentiality is required
- Possess project management skills
- Well-developed customer service orientation
- A self-starter, willing to take initiative
- A team player, as well as able to work independently
- Ability to work effectively under pressure & adapt to change
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment.
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs
- Highly proficient in Microsoft software and accounting software
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r1h4claz1qh23b8/