Regional Director, Northern California
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC San Francisco is one of 25 regional offices in the United States that advances AJC’s global diplomatic advocacy efforts to combat antisemitism, strengthen Israel’s place in the world, and promote pluralism and democratic values worldwide. The regional offices maintain the agency’s nationwide presence, attract leaders and donors to AJC, enhance the agency’s influence with key local, national and international decision makers and stakeholders, implement advocacy initiatives at the state/local level, and establishes and nurtures diplomatic and community relationships.
The Regional Director, Northern California will provide dynamic, visionary creative leadership to:
- Establish a highly visible presence for AJC in the community and expand AJC’s reach in the greater northern California region, including creating a strategy for Silicon Valley
- Advance AJC’s global advocacy agenda at the state and local level
- Recruit, develop, and inspire a strong staff team
- Grow engagement for longstanding lay leaders, and enlist support and commitment from dynamic new AJC lay leaders
- Grow all fundraising development streams including the annual campaign
The Regional Director, Northern California must demonstrate strong leadership skills, possess enthusiasm, drive, and the ability to translate his/her own and others’ passions into effective actions. He/she must be a strategic and collaborative community team player. He/she will supervise the highly motivated AJC Northern California team and will be responsible for growing AJC’s development efforts via major gifts and individual giving, planned giving, constituency development and working with family foundations.
The Regional Director does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as the Regional Director, Northern California, with all related responsibilities, including staffing, fundraising, advocacy and lay leadership development.
- Drive fundraising activities including major gift funding and annual events; fostering a culture of development and client service and raising other revenue streams to support AJC’s mission.
- Design and implement advocacy and programmatic initiatives that activate lay leaders, advance AJC’s global priorities and goals, and offer a compelling case for supporting AJC’s work.
- Lead efforts to counter antisemitism and support Israel in the unique political context of Northern California. Leverage opportunities to impact strategic policy arenas such as tech companies and online platforms, educational institutions and curriculum, and in the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion departments.
- Develop and execute growth strategies for deepened engagement, fundraising and impact, with particular attention to the Silicon Valley community.
- Significantly bolster AJC’s media presence in print, TV, radio, and social media, and serve as the go-to spokesperson and official representative of AJC to influential stakeholders within the Jewish community and the public at large.
- Develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with international diplomats as well as local, state, and federal policymakers, leveraging these relationships for lay leadership engagement and community and advocacy impact.
- Nurture interfaith and interethnic relationships in the community through collaborative initiatives with strategically selected inter-group partners.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of, and a strong commitment to, Jewish issues and the objectives of AJC and have strong ties to the Bay Area philanthropic community. The best candidate will be an experienced professional with a proven track record of fundraising success with significant experience in donor cultivation, major gift solicitation and stewardship.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 – 10 years of relevant experience including experience and / or familiarity with Jewish community relations, fundraising, staff and volunteer management.
- Passion for AJC’s mission, including:
- promoting Israel,
- safeguarding world Jewry,
- combating anti-Semitism,
- advancing human rights,
- protecting civil rights and civil liberties.
- Goal-oriented campaign strategist who can create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased financial resource development results.
- Experience with fundraising, donor cultivation, and a proven track record of securing major gifts.
- Confidence as a public figure within the Jewish and general communities; knowledge of Jewish and non-Jewish leadership in the community and understanding of the state and local political landscape.
- Political savvy; strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain relationships and partnerships with important AJC constituencies including political, government, diplomatic, news media, and education, ethnic and religious leaders.
- High energy and enthusiasm – a self-starter who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, to work collaboratively with lay leaders and colleagues, to make tough decisions, and to implement agreed upon initiatives.
- Strong ability to cultivate, develop and maintain relationships with board leadership; experience with board management and governance matters; desire and ability to promote and implement the AJC lay-professional partnership.
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation, coaching, and management to staff; experience delegating roles and projects to staff and leading a high-performance team.
- Ability to manage complex initiatives and oversee budgets, planning and financial management.
- Experience leveraging social media and designing/executing a marketing strategy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Availability for evening meetings and willingness to travel on occasion.
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, vision, and dental plans
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) - 15 vacation days per year, that increases with continued employment
- Paid Holidays (many Federal and major Jewish Holidays)
- Hybrid work schedule
- 403(b) participation, after one year of employment
- Transit plan
AJC requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19, unless one has a legally recognized reason for exemption.
The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $175,000, depending on relevant experience.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/waf2t2c15wiwa0/