National Director of Planned Giving
New York, NY
The National Director of Planned Giving provides leadership in developing and implementing all aspects of a National Planned Giving Program that contributes to the future sustainability of AJC, and that supports the strategic direction and mission of the organization.
The National Director of Planned Giving is responsible for the development, implementation and marketing of planned gifts and management of all aspects of AJC’s Planned Giving Program as part of its Major Gifts Program. The director is also responsible for handling Trust and Estate administration matters for AJC.
The individual does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
1. Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective donors for planned gifts.
- Meet annual Planned Giving goals through collaboration with Regional Offices and members of the National Planned Giving Committee (NPGC) and respond to leads generated by Planned Giving marketing initiatives;
- Work with lay leaders to promote Planned Giving, especially among AJC’s Board of Governors and lay leaders from the Regional Offices;
- Coordinate and conduct Planning Giving presentations for various AJC constituencies.
2. Trust and Estate Matters
- Handle all inquiries from attorneys and donors e.g., prepare customized bequest provisions; draft CGA and CRT agreements;
- Lead staff responsible for coordinating with donors’ attorneys following receipt of notice(s) of trusts;
- Review financial accounting and all supporting documents and correspondence for trust and estate administration;
- Arrange for Receipt and Releases and estate and realized bequests from trusts and IRA beneficiary designation documents to be executed and notarized;
- Ongoing contact with attorneys representing estates to monitor bequest distributions;
- Maintain records of bequests received, and schedules of trusts and estates in probate and their stages of administration;
- Provide status reports of expected income from bequest distributions throughout fiscal year;
- Maintain electronic and paper files where AJC has a contingent or remote beneficial interest.
3. IRA Charitable Rollovers
- Prepare marketing materials on IRA charitable rollovers to boost the annual campaign. Send targeted emails and letters to age-appropriate donors;
- Reply to all inquiries from donors and RO colleagues about IRA charitable rollovers and give them instructions about how to make these gifts to AJC;
- Furnish sample letters to third party IRA custodians and administrators for property transfers to AJC bank accounts;
- Track and report the number and total amounts of IRA rollovers contributed to annual campaign.
4. Oversee and coordinate engagement opportunities and communications to members of the Visionaries Society.
- Draft and send welcome letters to all new Visionaries over the signature of the chair of the NPGC. Assure thank you letters from the CEO are sent to new PG donors;
- Track and update lists of AJC Visionaries. Assure that supporting documentation on new planned gifts is received and recorded;
- Invite potential Planned Giving donors to attend events and engagement opportunities for Visionaries.
5. Manage the National Planned Giving Committee.
- Organize quarterly meetings of the NPGC. Work with the chair of the NPGC to identify the topics and issues for the meetings;
- Identify and recruit AJC Visionaries to serve on the NPGC. Assure that they: are knowledgeable about Planned Giving; have materials to promote Planned Giving among their AJC contacts; and are provided with prospects to cultivate.
6. Planned Giving Marketing
- Develop and implement national and targeted marketing campaigns for Planned Giving employing email and mail. Draft all marketing emails and letters, and develop Planned Giving inserts to be included in other AJC mailings. Work with the Global Communications Department to finalize materials and assure distribution is coordinated with other AJC mailings and solicitations;
- Request Raiser’s Edge reports based on select donor criteria for marketing of planned gifts to target select donors;
- Assist in scripting, directing and producing of new Planned Giving/Visionaries videos;
- Draft Planned Giving website material and assure that the website is updated;
- Assure that Planned Giving opportunities and the Visionaries Society have prominence at the Global Forum.
7. Work with the Finance Department to calculate and track the net present value of select planned gift pledges and charitable remainder trusts for auditors and provide auditors with documentation for trust and estate matters.
8. Coordinate with the Chief Financial Officer and General Counsel to ensure adherence to relevant laws, regulations, and institutional policies.
9. Perform other job-related duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters or law degree, preferred.
- At least seven years of professional experience in fundraising with a successful track record in Planned Giving, required.
- Extensive knowledge of Planned Giving concepts and protocols.
- Knowledge of major gifts fundraising.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse organizational leadership to build consensus around Planned Giving strategies and tactics.
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external associates to maximize effectiveness of projects and programs – a team player.
- Ability to make tough decisions and follow through on agreed-upon initiatives. Work collaboratively, yet firmly, when needed.
- Outstanding organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to manage data and develop, implement and oversee budgets.
- A demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values.
- Passion for the mission of AJC.
- Working knowledge of Planned Giving and donor tracking software.
Ability to supervise a Planned Giving Assistant.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r1h0wpp81qpia9n/