Director, Project Interchange
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
Project Interchange promotes the goals and objectives of AJC through educational seminars in Israel for American and international leaders. Delegations seek to inform and deepen awareness of Israel through first-hand experience. The Director assures that missions align with the agency’s priorities, are supported financially, and ensures collaboration with all relevant AJC departments.
The Director has managerial responsibility for the staffing and programmatic components of PI in Washington, D.C., and ensures that the communications, programming, measurement and evaluation, recruitment, alumni engagement and development components are fully integrated. S/he oversees the department’s $4M budget and plays a key role in achieving PI’s fundraising goals. The Director has the primary leadership development responsibility in working with the PI board and works collaboratively with the development department and the Director of AJC Jerusalem.
The Director does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Oversee Project Interchange’s operations and ensure its coordination with the Marketing and Communications, Development; HR, Legal, Finance, and IT departments;
- Ensure adherence to AJC policies, systems and protocol;
- Oversee the management of all aspects of the institute including: recruitment, programming, alumni engagement, measurement and evaluations, operations, communications and development;
- Communicate effectively and articulate PI’s purpose to a wide range of audiences and serve as the public face of the Institute;
- Oversee process of pre-delegation planning and assure efficiency and coordination with Israeli colleagues;
- Oversee institutional hiring processes and authorize all personnel decisions; conduct reviews and annual goal setting for direct reports;
Leadership Development and Fundraising
- Actively fundraise and solicit funds to support Project Interchange.
- Staff PI Board, Advisory Council, Executive Committee, Nominating Committee, and Financial Resource Development Committee;
- Develop engaging leadership opportunities for Board and Committee members;
- Work closely with AJC Development staff to research and identify donors;
- Build a prospect research mechanism for PI, and in coordination with the Development Department, ensure a prospect pipeline.
- Ensure delegation goals are aligned with AJC and PI goals;
- Build strategic external partnerships to strengthen the impact of PI;
- Engage in long-term strategic planning for PI in collaboration with relevant AJC departments;
- Provide strategic leadership for PI to significantly grow the institute in size and influence.
- Commitment to the mission, goals, and ideals of AJC;
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred;
- 15-20 years relevant experience, including management and fundraising;
- Experience in the personal solicitation of gifts;
- Professional experience in Jewish community relations, development, and/or Israel policy work;
- Strong leadership skills, including the capacity to inspire teamwork, build consensus and motive individuals;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including staff, lay leadership, funders, and partners;
- An entrepreneurial mindset, vision for growth, and experience scaling up existing programs or starting new endeavors;
- Capacity to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and set priorities;
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally;
- Hebrew language skills a plus.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/qwbirml0zhmx2e/