Director of External Relations and Development
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s New England off is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Director of External Relations and Development. This position offers an exceptional opportunity to participate in AJC’s global advocacy program and become part of a dynamic regional operation.
The New England AJC office is the region’s premier global Jewish advocacy organization dedicated to securing the freedom and safety of Jews and other vulnerable peoples in the United States, Israel and around the world. To advance this purpose, AJC New England promotes a dynamic program that merges innovative advocacy with diplomatic, legislative and cultural outreach and innovative advocacy.
The Director of External Relations will play an important role in advancing AJC New England’s strategic plan. The successful candidate will be a resourceful leader, who welcomes a demanding role and exhibits pride and professionalism in his or her work.
The Director of External Relations and Development does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Managing and oversight of AJC’s Development program including:
- Supervising the Assistant Director for Constituency and Development.
- Management of donor and cultivation events.
- Solicitor training
- Donor recognition
- Communication to the donor community in coordination with Communications team
- Development of a planned giving program that steadily builds AJC’s prospect pool in New England.
- Primary responsibility for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects and new major gift donors.
- Supervision and oversight of AJC’s constituency development programs, including Women’s Leadership Initiative, Global Advocacy Fellows program, and LFT Parents Initiative.
- Primary staff liaison together with the Assistant Director for Constituency and Development to the Development and Prospect Management Committees and active participation in Governance Committee process.
- External Relations Representative for AJC in community forums, events, and advocacy initiatives including engagement with intergroup partners and the cultivation of other strategic relationships.
- Participate in strategic planning and other essential office management processes.
- Serve as an important point of contact for board leaders and other lay partners.
- Perform other tasks as needed to support overall office effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of and a strong commitment to the issues and objectives to which AJC is dedicated. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of fundraising success with demonstrated experience in donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation, strong ties to Boston’s philanthropic community, and a comfort and disposition for building and maintaining relationships with philanthropic supporters. S/he will be a goal-oriented planner, who is accustomed to developing strategies and following through on them. In addition, s/he will have excellent written and oral communications skills. Other qualifications include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years related professional experience that includes roles as an organizational leader, fundraiser, and manager.
- A commitment to professional excellence, pride in one’s work, and a strong work ethic.
- Experience with social media platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with the Boston area Jewish community
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills
- Attentive to detail and to follow through
- Capacity to comfortably handle a large volume of work, manage multiple tasks, and interface with multiple parties to advance AJC’s work.
- Disposition to manage problems and see them as opportunities.
- Highly motivated self-starter, who is willing to take risks.
- A team player, who actively engages on office issues and is and comfortable seeking advice and guidance.
- Disposition to work collaboratively with lay and professional leadership.
- Enthusiasm for AJC’s mission and for working with a motivated hardworking team
- Proficiency in Raisers Edge, Microsoft Office, including Excel.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r16taz8601jpche/