Director of Advancement and Engagement
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC seeks a passionate senior level fundraising professional to serve as its Director of Advancement & Engagement in New York. As the primary driver for philanthropic activities, the Director provides vision to the comprehensive philanthropic efforts of one of AJC’s top-performing regional offices. The ideal candidate takes an entrepreneurial approach and will build on the region’s stable foundation, drive the $2 million annual campaign, expand revenue streams, and ensure a healthy donor pipeline for a dynamic future.
The Director must be a genuine relationship-builder who is energized by AJC’s mission and is able to communicate that commitment to an increasingly broad and diverse audience. They are a smart, high-energy initiator who combines organizational acumen, good judgement, and professionalism with knowledge of the New York Jewish community as well as the larger philanthropic and corporate communities. A strong manager who is a consummate team player with a curious, informed, and compassionate mindset is essential for success in this role.
The Director, Advancement & Engagement does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Envision and implement a comprehensive plan for managing and growing an approximately $2M annual campaign;
- Manage a growing portfolio of donors and solicit new and increased gifts;
- Coordinate efforts with the Regional Director and National Development office to increase focus on $25k+ annual major gifts;
- Utilize all tools for an effective major gifts process including Donor Recognition societies, targeted parlor meetings, solicitation strategies, and moves management;
- Work collaboratively with AJC’s National Development Department;
- Oversee planned giving and foundation initiatives including coordinating with AJC’s national planned giving office and identifying and cultivating foundation prospects;
- Cultivate, steward, and enhance the relationships lay leaders and current donors have with AJC, inspiring them to increase their commitment and giving;
- Advise and support solicitation efforts of the AJC New York Regional Director;
- Provide guidance to the AJC New York professional team, and fully integrate them into the development program;
- Co-manage with the Regional Director AJC New York’s leadership cultivation efforts and the board nominations process;
- Mentor new lay leaders to maximize their leadership and giving potential;
- Staff and provide direction to the region’s Institutional Advancement Committee;
- Conceive and produce exceptional programming to support effective outreach to new prospects and to open new donor constituencies within the New York metropolitan area;
- Perform other tasks as needed to support overall office effectiveness.
AJC is looking for an experienced development professional with a proven track record of fundraising success and significant experience in major gifts, program and event management, and general campaign planning and operations. The ideal candidate will be goal-oriented and have extensive knowledge of, and a strong commitment to, Jewish issues and the objectives of AJC. Other qualifications include:
- University degree required and a minimum of 7 years related professional experience that includes roles as an organizational leader, fundraiser, and manager;
- Passion for AJC’s mission;
- Goal-oriented campaign strategist who can create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased financial resource development results;
- Extensive experience with major donor management and direct solicitations
- Past experience working closely with lay leaders and leadership development;
- Flexible, creative, and strategic thinker able to develop sophisticated new ways to engage potential and existing donors and create new giving opportunities and programs;
- Takes and conveys pride in individual, team and organizational successes;
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills with the capacity to comfortably handle a large volume of work;
- Ability to creatively and proactively solve problems;
- Knowledge of and ability to manage data and oversee expense management;
- Sense of humor and strong desire to add to a culture of collaboration and feedback;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Flexibility with schedule (occasional mornings, evenings, and weekends);
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or equivalent fundraising software, Google Docs, and Microsoft Office / Excel.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/s1pfdysv16hvnwa/