Director, Development and Engagement
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC seeks a passionate senior level fundraising professional to serve as Director, Development & Engagement on our National Resource Development team. Working with a Senior Development Director, the Director would lead philanthropic and logistical efforts on an annual National Herbert H. Lehman event, support AJC’s national Institute Boards, provide development oversight to a select number of regional offices, and lead strategy for AJC’s Leaders for Tomorrow parent engagement initiative across the country.
The Director must be a genuine relationship-builder and excellent fundraiser who is energized by AJC’s mission and is able to communicate that commitment to a diverse audience. They are a smart, high-energy initiator who combines organizational acumen, good judgment, and professionalism.
The Director, Development & Engagement does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Develop and implement strategies for building and strengthening AJC’s presence in the financial, and banking industries, including researching donors/prospects, building committees, identifying honorees, planning parlor meetings, outreach events and fundraising events, recruiting for overall AJC programs, and guaranteeing proper follow up;
- In cooperation with AJC’s leadership, identify and help recruit appropriate honorees around which fundraising events can take place in the financial and banking industries.
- Develop long-term fundraising approaches for AJC by building relationships with donors in the specific industries and engaging them in AJC’s work;
- In coordination with National Development, Young Leadership and regional offices develop and execute an engagement and fundraising plan for parents of high school students enlisted in and alumni of AJC’s national Leaders for Tomorrow (LFT) program, as well as alumni of the program.
- Act as Development Liaison to multiple International Institute Boards (to be determined) by providing stewardship to lay leaders, participating in Institute board development and communications, and supporting International Institute colleagues;
- Participate in mission planning with the relevant Institutes;
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward annual donors at all levels;
- Liaise with members of marketing, communications and graphic design teams to ensure disciplined and clear messaging at all fundraising events and meetings;
- Regularly check in with a few assigned regional offices to monitor their fundraising progress and provide guidance on their ongoing development efforts.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
AJC is looking for an experienced development professional with a proven track record of fundraising success and significant experience in major gifts, event management, and general donor cultivation and stewardship. The ideal candidate will be goal-oriented and have extensive knowledge of, and a strong commitment to, Jewish issues and the objectives of AJC. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Eight to ten years professional experience in fundraising with successful track record required.
- Knowledge and comfort with all aspects of fundraising, including event-based fundraising, major gifts, one-on-one solicitation, cultivation and prospect/honoree research;
- Extensive experience with major donor management and direct solicitations;
- Past experience working closely with lay leaders and leadership development;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work with diverse organizational leadership to build consensus around fundraising strategies and tactics;
- Ability to look at a challenge from a variety of perspectives and develop creative approaches;
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills with the capacity to comfortably handle a large volume of work;
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs;
- Ability to make difficult decisions and follow through on agreed upon initiative, work collaboratively, yet independently, when needed;
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast pace and changing environment;
- A demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values;
- Passion for the mission of AJC;
- Sense of humor and strong desire to add to a culture of collaboration and feedback;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or equivalent fundraising software, Google Docs, and Microsoft Office / Excel.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/s1vyy4tj0eujuyi/