Director, Advancement and Engagement
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The Director, Advancement & Engagement (“DAE”) will be responsible for growing AJC Chicago’s base of annual donors and activists. The DAE will oversee all development efforts connected to AJC Chicago’s annual campaign including major gifts and individual giving, planned giving, lay leader development, working with family foundations, and developing relationships with major area synagogues. The DAE will continue AJC Chicago’s steep growth trajectory by continuing and building on existing best practices and developing and executing new ones.
The Director, Advancement & Engagement (“DAE”) does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Envision and implement a comprehensive plan for managing and growing an approximately $2.8M annual campaign;
- Coordinate efforts with the Regional Director and National Development office to increase focus on $25k+ annual major gifts;
- Promote donor engagement in AJC’s advocacy and programs at the regional and national levels;
- Develop and support an Advancement and Engagement Committee to assist with development and increase lay leader involvement;
- Take an active role in coordinating and supervising the efforts of the advancement & engagement team to ensure maximum cooperation and synergy with AJC’s honoree dinners and Campaign Cabinet;
- Utilize all tools for an effective major gifts process including Donor Recognition societies, targeted parlor meetings, solicitation strategies, and moves management;
- Manage a growing portfolio of donors and solicit new and increased gifts from those donors including connecting donors with the right local and national opportunities, events, missions etc., and assisting in creating AJC’s leadership pipeline;
- Advise and support solicitation efforts of the AJC Chicago Regional Office Director;
- Supervise, mentor, and provide guidance to a team of three made up of two Assistant Director’s and an Associate;
- Manage, advise and support staff members focusing on aspects of the annual campaign, including Donor Recognition programs and ACCESS;
- Oversee planned giving and foundation initiatives including coordinating follow up with AJC’s national planned giving office and, identifying and enrolling planned giving and foundation prospects.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8-plus years of fundraising experience that includes major donor management and direct solicitations
- Passion for AJC’s mission
- Experience overseeing large fundraising events preferred
- Goal-oriented campaign strategist who can create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased financial resource development results
- Past experience working closely with lay leaders and leadership development in a non-profit setting
- Self-starter who can work independently and collaborate with professional colleagues and volunteer leadership;
- Flexible and creative and strategic thinker able to develop new ways to engage potential and existing donors, create new giving opportunities and programs;
- Pride and professionalism in work accomplishments
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to creatively and practically solve problems, to multi-task and work on many projects simultaneously
- Excellent project management skills, ability to manage data and develop, implement and oversee budget
- Sense of humor and strong desire to add to a culture of collaboration and feedback
- Familiarity with the greater Chicagoland area and demographics
- Availability occasionally outside of business hours for events, programs and meetings
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/rpu2gr30bt4d5b/