Associate Director, DRO
The Regional Offices maintain the agency's nationwide presence by attracting leaders and donors to AJC, enhancing the agency's influence with key local, national and international decision makers and stakeholders, implementing advocacy initiatives at the state and local level, establishing and sustaining community relationships, and serving as AJC's eyes, ears, and voice on the ground.
The ideal candidate for this position will be mission-focused and process-minded. The candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of local governments, state legislatures, U.S. Congress, and the legislative process. The candidate will understand grassroots organizing, advocacy, coalition building, and community relations and will have the ability to communicate effectively with and to AJC’s network of Regional Offices and with external stakeholders and partners. The candidate will also support the Regional Offices with some aspects of media relations, such as drafting press release templates.
The candidate will have the skills, sensitivity, and knowledge to help maximize the expertise and strengths of the DRO staff and lay leadership while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create and implement strategies for AJC expansion into new “partner communities” and establish metrics to measure progress;
- Assist the DRO Director and Regional Office directors in the strategic expansion of AJC’s geographic coverage into areas where AJC does not maintain a physical office in order to increase our advocacy footprint and visibility;
- Develop periodic programming (in person and virtual) for partnership communities;
- Assist the Managing Director of DRO (and in coordination with the Department of Political Outreach) in implementing new departmental initiatives focused on state and local advocacy that include a 50-state strategy;
- Assist the Regional Offices with media relations and communications to heighten the AJC brand;
- Serve as spokesperson and official representative of AJC when appropriate.
Program Development and Implementation
- Assist in the creation and oversight of impactful, replicable programs and initiatives to execute AJC’s national strategic goals and objectives at the state and local level;
- Assist in the creation and oversight of strategic goals and benchmarks for regional office programs and operations.
- Stay abreast of news and analysis from multiple sources on issues of importance to AJC and the greater community;
- Advise regional offices on how best to identify, establish and maintain relationships and partnerships with important AJC constituencies (e.g. governmental, diplomatic, media, academic, ethnic and religious leaders);
- Expand AJC’s geographic footprint through the creation of partnership communities;
- Assist the regional offices in utilizing AJC marketing materials, national staff, and leadership to enhance and expand AJC’s image as the premiere global Jewish advocacy organization.
- Work with Regional Offices to identify and pursue donor cultivation opportunities and to grow donor societies and individual giving;
- Assist Regional Offices in integrating fundraising, leadership development, and programming to maximize AJC’s impact and to promote growth.
- Support AJC staff and lay leadership as needed for the overall development, health and effectiveness of the organization;
- Consistently provide leadership around organizational values supporting the development of a values-based culture at AJC.
- Assist the DRO Director in consulting and coordinating with the Board of Governors on DRO priorities, strategic vision, and program execution;
- Assist the DRO Director in developing agendas and reports, planning retreats, facilitating meetings, etc;
- Oversee special projects as directed by the DRO Director;
- Serve as an AJC content expert including drafting internal guidance, public speaking, and drafting op-eds.
- Graduate Degree preferred
- 10+ years of non-profit management experience
- Understanding of the state, local and federal government and with the legislative process
- Ability to cultivate and develop strong relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to solve problems creatively and practically
- Respect for and adherence to confidentiality is required
- Team player as well as able to work independently
- Collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Passion for the mission of AJC
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/q1cae4781k3889j/