New York, NY
The Associate Director plays a critical role in helping AJC New York support the goals of AJC National throughout New York City through results oriented, impactful, thoughtful and forward- thinking educational programs and advocacy and through leadership development and fundraising. The Associate Director will help to develop and coordinate programs with legislators, diplomats, international experts, newsmakers and community leaders. Through our diplomatic, interreligious and intergroup outreach efforts, AJC NY helps build bridges of understanding and cooperation both locally and globally.
The Associate Director does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
The Associate Director is responsible for conducting outreach and engagement of interfaith and intergroup partners and diplomatic and legislative community, supporting fund raising efforts, enhancing and expanding AJC NY’s presence locally through engagement of community leaders. The Associate Director supervises the Assistant Director for ACCESS, NY, AJC’s next generation program for young adults and the Assistant Development Director. The Associate Director will be responsible for working in collaboration with the Director and National AJC staff to stay abreast of news/media related to AJC priority issues, helping to establish a presence locally and assisting with the development of strategic and impactful programming, through developing budgets, conducting publicity outreach and ensuring appropriate follow-up.
Community Relations/Interfaith/Intergroup/Diplomatic Outreach/National Outreach and Advocacy
- Work with lay leadership to engage elected officials, interfaith/group partners and the diplomatic communities to support the work of AJC, including its national priorities, through individual, group and other meetings and programs
- In coordination with the Director, participate in outreach efforts to influential community partners to enhance the presence of AJC locally and to support AJC’s mission
- Assist in representing AJC NY at public functions, media events, etc.
- Facilitate advocacy campaigns with diplomatic missions and legislative offices that further promote AJC priorities such as legislative action alerts or missions that deepen ties and foreign exchanges.
- Supervise the Assistant Development Director to ensure that the region secures necessary funds to support the work of AJC.
- Assist with setting the strategic goals and plans for implementing successful fundraising efforts including outreach to lay leaders, potential donors and members and actively participate in the development of fundraising initiatives and plans.
- Work in partnership with lay leaders to support ongoing recruitment and development of lay leadership roles within AJC NY and AJC. Identify potential leaders for AJC missions, programs and travel opportunities.
- Coordinate and support recruitment efforts such as the AJC Global Forum and National Leadership Council Fly-in including targeted regional outreach before, during and after the conference.
- Oversee Assistant Director of Development and provide guidance, strategy and supervision to ACCESS NY to develop meaningful lay engagement, recruit necessary funds to support AJC and develop strategic advocacy programs.
Program Development and Planning to Promote Israel, Combat Anti-Semitism, Prevent Extremism and other AJC Priority Areas
- In collaboration with lay leaders, develop, budget and implement impactful programming that is aligned with AJC priority areas and that engages lay leadership, diplomatic and legislative community and other critical interlocutors and community partners.
- Conceive, develop and implement events that attract and engage leadership and AJC interlocutors and help further AJC’s mission and further its advocacy.
- Develop and implement effective recruitment and outreach strategy for Global Forum recruitment.
- Consistently conduct appropriate follow up activities to further engage program participants
- Staff any appropriate committee and serve as a liaison to support lay leadership in order that they may utilize their energy, connections and resources effectively and efficiently to further AJC’s mission.
- Work with the Director to support, expand and enhance AJC NY’s online presence through social media, newsletters, etc.
- Draft correspondence with community leaders and interlocutor that supports advocacy and bridge-building efforts.
- Assist Director in drafting communication, newsletters, and reports for lay leadership.
- Provide supervision and mentoring to interns and volunteers
- Supervise ACCESS, AJC’s next generation leadership program and Assistant Development Director.
Personal qualifications and core competencies:
The successful candidate will be a team player who is a motivated self-starter who can be successful working collaboratively with high caliber lay leaders as well as with community partners. Knowledge of the New York Jewish and diplomatic community, international affairs and policy helpful; a strong desire to further the mission of AJC will be required. Program planning experience including event planning is necessary. Knowledge of and familiarity with social media, data bases and other computer programs (e.g. Microsoft Office) required.
Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- 6-8 years of relevant experience including experience and/or familiarity with global policy issues, volunteer management and fundraising
- Knowledge of issues of importance to AJC including, but not limited to, Israel, world Jewry, human rights, contemporary Jewish life, and comprehensive immigration reform knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge of the American legislative process and political affairs.
- Passion for AJC’s mission and ability to translate others’ passion into effective action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including confidence representing AJC in public forums
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to engage with high profile leaders
- Well-developed customer service orientation
- Respect for and adherence to confidentiality required
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail and excellent follow through and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment and work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, make tough decisions and follow through on agreed upon initiatives
- Event planning experience including logistics and communications
- High energy and enthusiasm – a self-starter who can handle an entrepreneurial environment, work independently and prioritize and balance workflow
- Confidence as a public figure within the Jewish and general communities
- Team player who is supportive and able to assist in areas outside of direct responsibilities
- Excellent computer skills required including knowledge of Microsoft Suite, Raisers Edge, and Blackbaud
- Availability for early morning, evening and weekend meetings
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/rixl3j11xf6da9/