Assistant to the Chief Development Officer
New York, NY
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The Assistant to the Chief Development Officer will take a leading role in overseeing and executing a range of projects such as analysis of overall donor trends, putting standard operating procedures in place, helping to professionalize the management of our prospect base, stewardship of major donors, annual development staff retreat, monitoring major donors meetings, etc. The Assistant to the Chief Development Officer will also provide administrative support to the National Director of Development and will assist the department generally with list management, donor interaction, and record keeping. This is an excellent opportunity to begin a career in the field of resource development and learn firsthand about leadership development, donor relations, fundraising and event planning.
Applicant must possess excellent organizational and time management skills to handle heavy volume and busy schedule and be prepared to work long hours occasionally. Ability to draft donor communications and short documents with precision and to work as an integral member of a team, to work under pressure, and exercise excellent judgment and discretion are essential.
The position requires regular contact on the phone and in person with senior lay leadership, staff, and international dignitaries. Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills are a must.
The Assistant to the Chief Development Officer does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
1. Support of Chief Development Officer
- Compose and communicate correspondence on behalf of the Chief Development Officer to staff, major donors, and board members;
- Establish and maintain meeting calendar for National Development Staff Meetings, joint meetings with National Development and Marketing and Communications Departments, and Campaign Revenue Forecast Meetings;
- Attend meetings and provide input, identify and discuss issues, and develop action plan/next steps, including proactively planning and communicating information about follow-up on outstanding items;
- Analyze and synthesize data for presentation to top AJC leadership;
- Deft management of special projects related to donor relations and stewardship of major donors;
- Research donor relations matters and conduct prospect research;
- Help donors with matters or other inquiries;
- Oversee process of department check log for incoming donations;
- Assist at evening fundraising events in New York City;
- Handle all administrative requirements of Chief Development Officer such as executive calendar, calls and messages; editing of complex documents and spreadsheets; filing; copying; assistance with large mailings to major donors; handling incoming and outgoing mail; ordering departmental supplies; processing donations; coordinate travel for Chief Development Officer and prepare expense reconciliations; additional administrative needs as assigned.
2. Database Management
- Manage and update Raiser’s Edge database on a frequent basis, including entering and editing donor contact information and entering stewardship and solicitation meetings;
- Running queries and exports regularly and for members of the National Development Department to track activity, and assist with various campaign efforts throughout the year.
3. Other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer and/or the Senior Development Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five years of office experience, preferably in a development setting
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy
- Excellent analytical skills and highly developed organizational skills
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and meet several competing deadlines
- Comfort and familiarity with Microsoft Office
- An understanding of financial data, preferred
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is preferred
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r1nuf6hb15qlly9/