Assistant Director, Global Events (Two-Year Project Position)
New York, NY
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The Global Events Department is responsible for overseeing event operations and logistics for the AJC Global Forum, Board of Governors meetings, Leadership Development and Board Engagement Institutes, and National Development events such as the NLC Advocacy Fly-In and Anniversary Missions. Each of these initiatives is designed and executed for current and prospective lay leaders to actively engage in AJC’s advocacy work. Through these events, the Global Events Department serves to raise awareness of AJC’s programmatic work, involve and develop lay leadership, and enhance understanding of and commitment to the agency’s priorities.
This Global Events team member provides event operation assistance in the planning and execution of all National events for AJC. Responsibilities are centered on supporting event management and logistics, providing customer service to clients, managing hotel blocs, (including reports and analysis, knowledge of booking software, managing inventory), venue searches and contract negotiations selection, conference travel needs, and problem-solving unique project challenges.
This person is a key member of the AJC Global Forum team as chief customer service representative to assist our lay leaders with travel and hotel booking, as well as registration questions.
The ideal candidate would be an experienced customer service expert with convention service and travel agency experience. They will manage reports, rooming lists, inquiry management, timelines etc. and be a pivotal member of our planning team. They will assist in venue searches and contract negotiations. A successful candidate in this position must have strong skills in communications, project management, event coordination and execution, be entrepreneurial and comfortable taking initiative in a fast-paced working environment, and excellent attention to detail. This individual must work collaboratively on a team and as an individual.
The Assistant Director does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Provide platinum customer service support for internal and external clients of all of AJC’s Global Events.
- Provide strategic event management; coordinating logistics and operations. Experience with hotel convention services, managing room blocs, inventory, and contracts.
- Provide travel agent like services to clients.
- Manage site searches including creating RFPs, working with an agent, evaluating options, providing recommendations, contract review and negotiations.
- Support event choreography and logistics, including coordination of meeting space, audio equipment; Support the event agenda and troubleshoot needs for all Global Events.
- Identify staffing needs during the overall event, create and update the shift schedule, assign staff teams, and communicate all staff assignments to AJC colleagues and adjust as needed.
- Assist with set-up and break-down of events, as well as onsite production as necessary.
- Manage and update multi-year conflict of event calendar for use agency wide in planning.
- Strong knowledge of new, unique and cutting-edge trends, and event design, and inclination/ability to make recommendations and explore new opportunities.
- Research and work with external vendors to manage special projects.
- Plan services for events such as special needs requirements and event security.
- Support post-event activities including debrief memos and creating an event archive.
- Work with National Events Director and other team members on special projects as assigned
- Experience working on multiple events of varying scale and scope simultaneously.
- 5-7 years of pertinent event planning experience in hotel convention or reservation services.
- BA degree required.
- Knowledge of travel agency services best practices.
- Must have high attention to detail and platinum customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work across multiple teams, internally and externally, to complete event related tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Must possess sound judgement, business savviness and discretion.
- Passion for the mission, goals, and objectives of AJC.
- Candidate must be flexible with working some nights and weekends and traveling to multiple events within a year.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to creatively and practically solve problems, to multi-task and work on many projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- An entrepreneurial mindset; able to identify and pursue opportunities.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/r1yr30n104ij3yi/