Assistant Director, Digital Advocacy
New York, NY
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s Global Communications Department seeks a highly-productive and skilled communicator who is a passionate advocate for the Jewish people to serve as Assistant Director, Digital Advocacy. This position will work on day-to-daily and long-term initiatives related to advancing and communicating AJC’s advocacy agenda.
The specific responsibilities outlined below are not exhaustive. The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded, detail-oriented, and communications professional able to represent the Department in meetings with internal stakeholders, make major contributions to large-scale communication efforts, and work collaboratively with AJC staff around the world.
The Assistant Director, Digital Advocacy does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Work with the Director of Digital Communications and Public Affairs to identify, craft, and execute communications campaigns in accordance with AJC’s agency priorities;
- Collaborate with the Graphics team to obtain relevant photographs and/or create custom graphics for action alerts and other advocacy communication efforts;
- Closely follow relevant news and trending social media topics and work with the Director of Social Media to incorporate AJC’s advocacy communication campaigns into AJC’s social media posts when relevant;
- Coordinate all digital communications vendor-related work, including scheduling, reviewing, and researching;
- Work with the Associate Director, Digital Initiatives on digital advocacy technology strategy;
- Liaise with AJC’s Department of Regional Offices and Global Affairs offices to collect feedback and input to maximize advocacy communication campaigns across the agency;
- Work with the Chief Legal Officer on contracts and agreements with AJC vendors and freelancers;
- Manage advocacy campaign metrics and reports, often in conjunction with other AJC departments and vendors.
Written, Audio, and Video Content Development and Distribution
- Together with key members of the Global Communications Team, brainstorm innovative content and content distribution ideas.
- Implement and grow AJC’s content distribution program, including Synagogue Syndicate and People of the Pod podcast, and other initiatives designed to increase the reach of AJC’s advocacy communications;
- Collaborate with the Associate Director, Digital Initiatives to maintain and update AJC’s content hubs;
- Identify strategic partnerships, similar to AJC’s work with The Times of Israel on People of the Pod, to expand AJC’s brand recognition and communication opportunities.
- Work with the Director of Social Media to ensure AJC-produced content is promoted on AJC social media and AJC’s social media advertising;
- Liase with the Chief Legal Officer on contracts and agreements with AJC vendors and freelancers.
Email List Growth
- Support AJC’s efforts to substantially increase its email list through a variety of tactics, including lead generation from AJC’s social media channels;
- Build a community of AJC fans who want to consume AJC content, take action on AJC advocacy priorities, and support AJC’s global advocacy;
- Become the knowledge base for content marketing best practices for lead generation and track associated metrics;
- Work with the Associate Director, Digital Initiatives to implement strategies on AJC’s content hubs to support list growth;
- Liaise with the Director of U.S. Communications and the Development Department on list growth strategy.
- Four to five years’ work experience in the field of communications, including at least one-two years’ experience with social media;
- Bachelor's degree;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Flexible work style with the ability to work late and on weekends (often on short notice);
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative;
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
- Understanding of online communications technologies;
- Grasp of current events, particularly as they affect American Jewry, the Jewish people, and Israel;
- Commitment to AJC’s global mission and familiarity with the Jewish community:
- Experience with graphic design and video editing preferred.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/rjm06hl04wqg3d/