Assistant Director, Communications (Spanish)
New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Houston, or Dallas
AJC seeks an energetic and highly capable Assistant Director to work on initiatives related to advancing and communicating AJC’s advocacy agenda to Spanish-speaking audiences in Latin America and the United States. While the Assistant Director will be a member of AJC’s national Marketing and Communications Department, he/she will liaise on a daily basis with AJC’s Arthur and Rochelle Belfer Institute for Latino and Latin American Affairs.
The specific responsibilities outlined below are not exhaustive. The ideal candidate will be a utility player—able to identify new communications opportunities as they arise and work collaboratively to develop and execute them.
The Assistant Director does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
The Assistant Director will play an integral role in implementing AJC’s content marketing strategy. He/she will produce content in a variety of formats—blogs/op-eds, ebooks, podcasts, videos, etc.—that attracts new audiences to AJC, educates individuals about the issues topping the AJC agenda.
- Execute a content marketing strategy geared toward Spanish speakers in Latin America and the United States;
- Write and edit text for AJC’s Spanish-language website and other platforms that is crisp, compelling, error-free, and adheres to best practices for web content;
- Interview AJC subject matter experts and convert their ideas into well-written and engaging thought leadership content;
- Curate the top news stories of the week (related to AJC’s advocacy priorities) and produce a weekly news digest distributed to subscribers via email;
- Working within AJC’s budget and technological constraints, produce engaging video and audio content (related to AJC’s advocacy priorities), track the effectiveness of these efforts, and modify the strategy as needed.
The Assistant Director will be principally responsible for coordinating all content for AJC’s Spanish-language social media platforms, including, but not limited to, Facebook and Twitter.
- Be responsible for daily posts/tweets to the AJC’s Spanish-language social media accounts that are consistent with AJC’s programmatic/advocacy priorities and responsive to current events;
- Manage and monitor social media advertising on a weekly basis in order to maximize promotional efficiency;
- Run robust and dynamic Spanish-language Facebook and Twitter accounts to attract a clearly defined audience from Latin America and the Latino community in the United States;
- Monitor and edit outside comments posted to AJC’s Spanish-language Facebook page;
- Track metrics on a weekly basis for each of AJC’s Spanish-language social media accounts and make strategic recommendations accordingly;
- Implement a variety of tactics to convert Facebook “likes” and Twitter followers into email constituents;
- Monitor online competitors and regularly research new platforms and trends that might be applicable for AJC;
- Create Wibbitz videos for use on social media.
Working in close coordination with AJC’s Director of Media Relations, the Assistant Director will be responsible for outreach to the Spanish-language media.
- Compose and edit press releases and articles/op-eds;
- Cultivate and enhance a collaborative working relationship with the media.
- Maintain a robust database of media contacts;
- Manage the flow of news about AJC and its work in Latin America and the Latino community in the United States to the media;
- Pitch AJC experts to the media;
- Detect public relations issues as they emerge and address them directly;
- Assemble press kits for signature AJC events;
- Research and write briefing materials for AJC experts interacting with the Spanish-language media.
- 5-7 years’ work experience in the field of communications, media relations, or public affairs;
- Bachelor's degree;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills in both Spanish and English;
- Cultural sensitivity and familiarity with Latin America and the Latino community in the United States;
- Knowledge of AJC’s advocacy agenda, particularly related to the Middle East, Latin America, and Latin America’s Jewish communities;
- Flexible work style with the ability to work late and on weekends (often on short notice);
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative;
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
- Understanding of online communications technologies;
- Commitment to AJC’s global mission and familiarity with the Jewish community.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/q18jwnbx1255l42/