Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
The regional AJC Westchester/Fairfield office advances local and global Jewish advocacy initiatives to secure the welfare of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values. We do this by activating Jewish lay leaders and building relationships with local diplomats, elected officials, and interfaith and intergroup leaders.
Primary functions of the Assistant Director will be in political and diplomatic outreach and the region’s intergroup /interreligious efforts to expand AJC’s visibility, deepen the impact of our policy advocacy, and support fundraising efforts. S/he will also be responsible for inspiring Westchester/Fairfield’s leadership engagement to advance AJC’s reach and impact locally and globally, through outreach to elected officials and collaboration with ethnic and religious community partners.
The successful candidate will be an organized team-player, strong project manager, and exceptional communicator. Familiarity with political organizing, international relations, and Jewish advocacy is ideal.
The Assistant Director does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability
- Develop and help lead advocacy efforts to local, state, and federal elected officials, diplomats, and community leaders.
- Work closely with AJC national and political outreach colleagues to ensure alignment in advocacy messaging.
- Work in partnership with lay leadership on advocacy efforts and programming.
- Direct AJC Westchester/Fairfield’s diplomatic outreach portfolio.
- Support AJC Westchester/Fairfield’s LFT (Leaders for Tomorrow) high school advocacy program.
- Develop and lead advocacy-related and educational partnership initiatives and programs.
- Responsible for communications including website, social media, and Monthly Update.
- Coordinate special projects and prepare and gather briefing papers as needed.
- Create action alerts and other communications to engage AJC leadership, key stakeholders, and the larger community on key issues.
- Represent AJC by speaking at both public and private events and gatherings.
- Assist in the planning and execution of general AJC programs and activities.
- Perform other tasks as needed to support overall office effectiveness.
- Assist the Regional Director, Associate Director and Development team when needed.
- Assist Director, other regional staff, and lay leadership with fundraising efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5 to 7 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing, critical thinking, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience with organizing lay leaders and developing advocacy initiatives and programs.
- Commitment to AJC’s mission and key advocacy areas such as combatting antisemitism and promoting human rights and multicultural understanding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to solve problems creatively, diplomatically, and pragmatically within the organization and in the community.
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with staff and lay leadership.
- Entrepreneurial creativity, resourcefulness, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications.
- Availability for periodic evening, and weekend meetings, and occasional travel.
AJC requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19, unless one has a legally recognized reason for exemption.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/sfvmblt0jxg2r4/