Assistant Development Director
AJC operates simultaneously at the international, national and local levels with a physical presence in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America. AJC Westchester/Fairfield is a White Plains-based regional office of this major global organization. The role of the regional office is to: 1) bring this global advocacy mission to life at the local level, 2) build a leadership cadre, and 3) raise funds which support the worldwide efforts of the organization.
AJC’s Westchester/Fairfield Office is a fast-paced, highly effective organization that demands creativity, commitment and the ability to build relationships across the Jewish community, as well as between the Jewish community and many different religions, cultures and nationalities. On an annual basis, the office carries out more than 80 educational programs, raises well over $3-4 million dollars, fosters relationships with a wide variety of leaders from the two counties, and engages in advocacy with those leaders.
The role of the Assistant Development Director will be to support these efforts. He/She will be responsible for helping to implement a successful campaign with particular emphasis on personal solicitations, community involvement, special events, and new leadership development.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, high-energy, self-starter who combines organizational acumen and professionalism with a love of Jewish heritage, familiarity with Jewish culture, knowledge of the local Jewish community, and experience in and dedication to promoting pluralistic values. A strong commitment to Israel and AJC's mission and priority areas are also important. The best candidate will be an experienced development professional with planning and management skills and a proven track record of fund raising success with experience in special events, donor cultivation, and major gift solicitation/stewardship. The candidate must also be a consummate team player who works effectively with various constituencies. Proficient computer skills, exceptional organizational and writing skills, and strong interpersonal skills are a must.
- Working closely with the Regional Director, Director of Development, AJC professionals and board/volunteer leadership to provide support and organization in all development activities;
- Help develop and implement strategies to encourage new gifts, as well as increasing current donor contributions;
- Steward gifts through donor contact;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with donors, increasing their engagement and investment in AJC;
- Identify, qualify and engage prospective donors to expand the number of giving society members;
- Conduct research on prospective sources of revenue, including major gift prospects, foundations, and dinner honorees;
- Partner with staff and lay leadership to provide organization, support, and guidance for development strategies that will deepen investment and enlarge AJC’s annual campaign;
- Coordinate fundraising dinners, special events, community receptions, donor stewardship programs, regional outreach and written appeals;
- Support all systems and logistics pertaining to fundraising events;
- Update prospect and donor records;
- Collaborate with program staff to engage existing and new donors; and
- Perform other tasks needed to support overall office effectiveness.
- Passion for AJC's mission;
- Some prior knowledge of, and/or experience with, issues of concern to AJC
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree highly preferred;
- 5 or more years of relevant experience;
- Proficient in managing and interpreting development data;
- Proficient in MS Office, (especially Word and Excel);
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred;
- Self-starter who is able to work independently as well as collaborate with professional and volunteer leadership;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Stellar inter-personal skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Experience with or interest in social media and marketing strategy are preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure while keeping a sense of humor;
- Goal-oriented, flexible, creative, and strategic thinker which can be used to develop new ways to engage potential/existing donors, as well as create new giving opportunities and programs;
- Familiarity with and passion for Jewish communal life in the local region; and
- Flexible schedule (occasional early morning, evening and weekend work required).
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/rbap49i1yxl9w5/