Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Policy and Diplomatic Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the U.S. and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s Marketing and Communications Department seeks an experienced Art Director to boost the agency’s brand awareness, content marketing strategy, and overall appeal in a competitive marketplace while simultaneously overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Graphics Team.
In addition, the Art Director sets the agency’s visual strategy and translates complex ideas, often in the form of text, into simple, easy to comprehend images that can be used across a range of platforms. The Art Director project manages large initiatives and leads the Graphics Team in supporting the agency’s 24 regional offices and 14 overseas posts in all their design needs by prioritizing, coordinating, and fulfilling their requests. The Art Director must be detail-oriented and adept at managing a team that handles multiple projects simultaneously.
The specific responsibilities outlined below are not exhaustive. The position will play a key leadership and strategic planning role.
The Art Director does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
- Conceptualize and direct the visual strategy that increases AJC’s brand awareness in a crowded marketplace and builds support for the agency’s mission and advocacy objectives.
- Generate and oversee all agency design projects, including, but not limited to, promotional brochures, event collateral, direct mail fundraising packages, the AJC.org website, AJC’s social media platforms, email templates, and environmental graphics.
- Lead a talented Graphics Team in their efforts to create engaging, relevant, and inspiring visual designs.
- Manage and mentor AJC’s in-house Graphics Team, including overseeing an annual goal-setting process, along with identifying professional development opportunities, for all team members, and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the team.
- Maintain and manage a roster of freelance designers, illustrators, photographers, and external printshops.
- Review, adjust, and implement best practices for AJC’s in-house Graphics Team and print shop, and ensure AJC is utilizing state-of-the-art technology and techniques.
- Collaborate with key Marketing and Communications stakeholders, especially the Senior Director of Brand Marketing, to plan for major marketing initiatives, like the annual end-of-year fundraising campaign.
- Play a key role in setting AJC brand guidelines and ensuring they are adhered to across the agency for all print, digital, and environmental designs.
- Partner with the video specialist to provide creative oversight to all externally-produced video projects.
- Create and maintain a consistent brand look across AJC offices representing AJC’s global and regional prominence.
- Maintain a deep knowledge of compelling visuals relevant to AJC’s priority issue areas and audiences.
- Generate and oversee the vision for AJC Global Forum collateral and environmental graphics.
- Serve as a consultant and stakeholder to the Department’s efforts to maintain AJC’s digital asset management system and ensure AJC has secured the proper licenses/rights for images and that they are easily accessible across the agency.
- Oversee designs requested by internal clients and train all staff on how to interface with the Graphics Team.
- Routinely seek out insights from end-users to develop design and graphic request operations best practices.
- Identify, negotiate contracts for, manage, and evaluate outside design, photography, and printing vendors, ensuring that contracted projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the design trends of the Jewish communal organization sector, social media advocacy, and digital advocacy.
- Prepare and monitor annual graphics budget in consultation with AJC’s accounting department and the Managing Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Research and recommend efficient and justifiable purchases for the graphics team and print shop.
- Support AJC regional and overseas offices and national departments with design and branding requests.
- Present final layouts for approval, explaining the creative with clear rationale.
- Review and approve proofs of printed artwork and copy.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating a passion for design and a mastery of visual communication.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Graphic Design, Digital Media Design, or related subject.
- Familiarity with the Jewish community, preferably with the Jewish communal organization sector, and/or key AJC priority issues areas, like Israel and antisemitism.
- 12+ years of graphic design experience, preferably in an agency or non-profit setting.
- 8+ years of supervisory experience.
- High-level ability to lead a team, problem-solve, multitask, manage up, and prioritize responsibilities.
- Expert understanding of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Overall understanding of web production and digital design elements.
- Familiarity with video production.
- Excellent communication, organization, and customer service skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to think and respond quickly, maintaining attention to detail on multiple projects simultaneously and create/design on short notice.
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative.
- Flexible work style with the ability to work outside of normal business hours (often on short notice).
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, vision, and dental plans
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) - 15 vacation days per year, that increases with continued employment
- Paid Holidays (many Federal and major Jewish Holidays)
- Hybrid work schedule
- 403(b) participation, after one year of employment
- Transit plan
The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $130,000, depending on level of relevant experience and location.
AJC requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19, unless one has a legally recognized reason for exemption.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application to: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/s53zjmx1avcaik/