Harriet Schleifer and Geri Krauss, Co-Chairs
Mission: One very important piece of AJC’s “Global Jewish Advocacy” work is Israel. A secure Israel is a critical element for a secure Jewish people. Project Interchange is an AJC educational Institute that brings to life the concept that when it comes to understanding Israel, there is no substitute for first-hand experience. Since 1982, Project Interchange has brought more than 5,500 military, civic, religious, media, business, high-tech, and university leaders from some 65 countries to Israel. Participants spend one week with their professional counterparts as well as with Arab Israelis and Palestinians. This results in a broad exposure to the complex issues facing Israel and a chance for all to form bonds.
The AJC Westchester Project Interchange Committee will be responsible for:
- Fundraising – help identify and cultivate new donors to Project Interchange. This can include planning parlor meetings to educate the community
- Programming – plan programs to educate the community about Project Interchange and showcase regional alumni of the programs
- Alumni Programming – plan special alumni events to continue to engage the Project Interchange alumni and to encourage them to share what they have learned with others.
- Recruitment – help identify and recruit leaders in Westchester to go on Project Interchange trips. This may include developing a special Westchester trip in coordination with other AJC Westchester Committees
- December 2013 Parlor Meeting featuring Cyprus Consul General Koula Sophianou.
- Project Interchange event in Chappaqua, featuring Ethan Bronner, NY Times national legal affairs correspondent and former Jerusalem bureau chief.
Recent Alumni from Westchester:
- Dr. Jerrilynn Dodds, Dean of the College, Sarah Lawrence College
- Jose Alvarado of the Westchester Board of Legislators
- Assemblyman George Latimer
- The Honorable Jeanine Pirro
- The Reverend Bonnie Rosborough from Briarcliff Manor
- New York State Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins
- Ken Jenkins, Former Chair of the Westchester County Board of Legislators
- New York State Assemblyman Gary Pretlow
- Fr. Wil Tyrrell, Director of the Duchesne Center for Religion and Social Justice at Manhattanville College.