|Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process|
Ten years ago, on October 23, 1998, Israel and the Palestinian
Authority signed the Wye River Memorandum to implement previous
agreements. Unfortunately, it remains unfulfilled. Test your knowledge
of this important issue in this week's Jewish IQ Quiz on the peace
1. Which of the following does the Arab Peace Initiative NOT explicitly call for?
(a) Return of the Golan Heights to Syria (b) Return of Palestinian refugees (c) A Palestinian capital in East Jerusalem (d) Normalization of relations
2. Parties in the region came together for symbolically important peace
talks for the first time at the 1991 Madrid Conference. Who was not
(a) Lebanon (b) Syria (c) Jordan (d) The PLO
3. The Oslo accords between Israel and the PLO were signed as witnesses
by U.S. Secretary of State Warren Christopher and by the foreign
minister of what country?
(a) Russia (b) Egypt (c) Norway (d) France
4. The Clinton-initiated plan at the 2000 Camp David summit, backed by
Israel, would have given how much of the territory of the West Bank to
a Palestinian state?
(a) 87 percent (b) 93 percent (c) 97 percent (d) 99 percent
5. At the 2000 Camp David summit, what did Yasser Arafat deny?
(a) The Holocaust (b) That the temple had been located in Jerusalem (c) That Israel was the historic Jewish homeland (d) The legitimacy of the Oslo Accords
6. The 2003 Geneva Accord, a non-governmental agreement signed by
Israeli and Palestinian representatives, provides one model for a final
agreement. How does it handle Jerusalem?
(a) International control of the whole city (b) Divided city with international control of the Old City (c) Divided city; Israel controls Western Wall; Palestine controls Temple Mount (d) Shared Israeli-Palestinian sovereignty in the old city
7. When did the PLO officially acknowledge Israel's right to exist and renounce terrorism and other forms of violence?
(a) 1990 (b) 1993 (c) 2000 (d) 2006
8. In 1997, Benjamin Netanyahu and Yasser Arafat, in the presence of
U.S. negotiator Dennis Ross, agreed upon the protocol for Israeli
redeployment from what city?
(a) Bethlehem (b) Ramallah (c) Jericho (d) Hebron
9. How did the Oslo Accords address the issue of Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank?
(a) Not at all (b) Urged restraint in expansion (c) Required consultation with the Palestinian Authority (d) Imposed a complete building freeze
10. Which of the following is NOT part of Phase 1 of the Road Map for peace, advanced by the Quartet in 2002?
(a) Palestinian elections (b) Settlement freeze (c) End to Palestinian violence and incitement (d) International efforts to aid Palestinian economy
Bonus: When the Knesset approved the Oslo accords in September 1993, what was the tally of votes for and against?
(a) 58-56 (b) 61-50 (c) 89-24 (d) 103-12