|Jews in the Academy Awards|
While watching the 81st Academy Awards on Sunday evening, you may not have realized the significant role that Jews played in much of this year’s festivities. To learn more about the chosen people behind the golden statuettes, take the quiz.
Answers in BOLD.
1. Waltz with Bashir was the eighth Israeli film to be nominated for “best foreign language film” – what was the first?
a. Beaufort (2007)
b. Beyond the Walls (1984)
c. Sophie’s Choice (1982)
d. Sallah (1964)
2. This year, Jerry Lewis was honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. What is the name of the unreleased 1972 drama set in a Nazi concentration camp that he starred in and directed?
a. The Nutty Professor
b. The Day The Clown Cried
d. Silent Treatment
3. This year’s Oscars were almost disrupted due to a strike by the Screen Actor's Guild. What Jewish actor’s friendship with recently-elected Franklin Roosevelt helped this union during its infancy in 1933?
a. John Garfield (born Jacob Garfinkle)
b. Eddie Cantor (born Israel Iskowitz)
c. Frederick March (born Ernest Bickel)
d. Edward G. Robinson (born Emanuel Goldenberg)
4. The Jewish father of which of this year’s Best Actor nominees turned to directing after being blacklisted as an actor by the House Un-American Activities Committee?
a. Mickey Rourke
b. Richard Jenkins
c. Frank Langella
d. Sean Penn
5. For the first time, this year’s nominees in the four major acting categories were presented by five former winners. Which group of presenters includes three Jews?
a. Best Supporting Actor (Kevin Kline, Christopher Walken, Cuba Gooding, Jr. , Alan Arkin, Joel Grey)
b. Best Supporting Actress (Whoopi Goldberg, Goldie Hawn, Anjelica Huston, Eva Marie Saint, Tilda Swinton)
c. Best Actress (Sophia Loren, Shirley MacLaine, Marion Cotillard, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry)
d. Best Actor (Michael Douglas, Adrien Brody, Robert De Niro, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley)
6. Which Jewish comic duo reprised their roles from a recent film to present the Oscar for Best Live Action Short?
a. Seth Rogen and James Franco
b. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert
c. Tina Fey and Steve Martin
d. Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander
7. Which 2009 Oscar presenter is the son of two Jewish satellite engineers and now plays in a heavy metal rock band?
a. Ben Stiller
b. Jack Black
c. Adrien Brody
d. Will Smith
8. Which director who started out as a Yiddish actor with the ARTEF (Yiddish Proletarian Theater) company in New York was honored during the annual tribute to individuals who died since the previous year's Academy Award ceremonies?
a. Paul Scofield
b. Sydney Pollack
c. Jules Dassin
d. Charles H. Joffe
9. Oscar host Hugh Jackman was recently named the “Sexiest Man Alive” for 2008. Since the title was established in 1985, who is the only Jewish winner?
a. David Duchovny
b. Harrison Ford
c. Jake Gyllenhaal
d. Daniel Day-Lewis
10. Sean Penn received this year’s Best Actor Oscar for his portrayal of Jewish activist Harvey Milk. Which current Jewish member of the U.S. Senate was the first person to check Milk’s body for a pulse?
a. Barbara Boxer
b. Ron Wyden
c. Michael Bennet
d. Diane Feinstein
Bonus: which of the following Jewish Oscar-winning composers was NOT a refugee from Nazi Europe?
a. Erich Wolfgang Korngold
b. Franz Waxman
c. Adolph Deutsch
d. André Previn