Answers in BOLD.
This week marks 138 years since Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, the founder of Reform Judaism, dedicated the cornerstone of Central Synagogue in New York. Learn more about the movement in this week's Jewish IQ Quiz on Reform Judaism.
1. In what country were the first reform congregations established in the early 19th century?
(a) England (b) Germany (c) France (d) United States
2. Reform Judaism in the United States began in 1824 in what city, which had the largest Jewish population in the country at the time?
(a) Providence, RI (b) Philadelphia (c) Charleston, SC (d) New York
3. Complete the phrase from the most recent platform of the Central Conference of American Rabbis (CCAR), the Reform rabbinic association: "We affirm the___ of God."
(a) Existence (b) Eternal glory (c) Sanctity and power (d) Reality and oneness
4. What word does not appear in the CCAR platform?
(a) Ritual (b) Prayer (c) Tzedakah (d) Mitzvah
5. The World Union for Progressive Judaism describes itself as the "international umbrella organization for the Reform, Liberal, Progressive and Reconstructionist movements." It counts congregations in how many countries, including Israel?
(a) 17 (b) 29 (c) 42 (d) 56
6. The Reform ceremony of Confirmation, celebrating a group of young people's commitment to Judaism, years after Bar or Bat Mitzvah, takes place on what holy day?
(a) Sukkot (b) Shavuot (c) Simchat Torah (d) Lag B'Omer
7. Samuel Adler was the rabbi of Temple Emanu-El in New York, the leading reform synagogue at the time, from 1857-1874. His son, Felix, went on to found what?
(a) Conservative Judaism (b) Communist Party of the USA (c) The Society for Ethical Culture (d) West London Synagogue
8. Hebrew Union College, the reform rabbinical seminary, was the first Jewish seminary in the United States. What esteemed rabbi founded it?
(a) Leo Baeck (b) Emil Hirsch (c) Moses Mielziner (d) Isaac Mayer Wise
9. The original 1885 platform of CCAR did not "expect a return to Palestine" because its framers considered Jews to be "no longer____"?
(a) A nation (b) An exiled people (c) A race (d) A tribe
10. In what year did the reform congregations of the United Kingdom first form an association with each other?_(a) 1875 (b) 1911 (c) 1942 (d) 1967
Bonus: The Religious Action Center, the Washington, D.C. policy arm of the Union for Reform Judaism, works in all of the following policy areas except…?
(a) Fair Trade Coffee (b) Forest Issues (c) Transportation Issues (d) Conflict Diamonds