|UN Bias against Israel|
Answers in BOLD.
This week, the UN commemorates the International Day of Solidarity with the
Palestinian People—ironically, on the anniversary of the passage of the UN
Partition Plan for Palestine, rejected by the Arab leadership. This is just
one of the UN's many anti-Israel initiatives, entrenched in the
institutional structure of the world body. Learn more in this week’s Jewish
IQ Quiz on UN Bias against Israel.
1. This March, what Human Rights Council member state supported a resolution accusing Israel of “collective punishment” in Gaza, while calling for Palestinians to cease firing “crude rockets”?
(a) Ukraine (b) Guatemala (c) Switzerland (d) Cameroon
2. Of the 7 special sessions of the Human Rights Council, established in 2006 to replace the discredited Human Rights Commission, how many have dealt with Israel?
(a) 2 (b) 4 (c) 5 (d) 7
3. UN Security Council Resolution 252, adopted in 1968, declared what to be invalid?
(a) Israel’s designation of Jerusalem as its capital (b) Israel’s self-described status as a Jewish state (c) Israeli control of the Temple Mount (d) The principle of land for peace
4. As a result of its total exclusion from the UN regional grouping system until 2000, Israel has long been denied key committee assignments. For the first time, Israel will seek a Security Council seat in what year?
(a) 2009 (b) 2012 (c) 2019 (d) 2025
5. In 1974, Israel was excluded from membership in what specialized agency of the UN?
(a) UNESCO (b) The World Food Programme (c) UNICEF (d) World Health Organization
6. UNRWA is the special UN agency that provides social services to, but does not resettle, Palestinian refugees. What country is not among UNRWA’s five largest donors in 2008?
(a) The Netherlands (b) Qatar (c) The United Kingdom (d) The United States
7. How is it possible that the number of Palestinians registered as refugees with UNRWA has quintupled since 1950?
(a) Because many became refugees when Jordan lost the West Bank (b) Because more and more Palestinians have simply decided to register (c) Because the descendants of Palestinian refugees also count as refugees (d) Because UNRWA inflates registration figures to gain resources
8. How much money did the United States donate to UNRWA in 2007?
(a) $1.27 million (b) $36.81 million (c) $70.06 million (d) $154.15 million
9. Who said in 2006, “There have been decades of resolutions. There has been a proliferation of special committees, sessions and Secretariat divisions and units. Has any of this had an effect on Israel’s policies, other than to strengthen the belief in Israel, and among many of its supporters, that this great organization is too one-sided to be allowed a significant role in the Middle East peace process?"
(a) Israeli Ambassador Dan Gillerman (b) Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice
(c) French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy (d) Secretary General Kofi Annan
10. What UN figure accused Israel of 'apartheid' this week, and said that Palestinians are 'being crucified'?
(a) High Commissioner for Human Rights (b) President of the General Assembly
(c) Rapporteur on the Right to Food (d) Secretary General
Bonus: Richard Falk is the Human Rights Council’s special rapporteur for the
Palestinian territories. He has argued that it is reasonable to believe that “the established elites of the American governmental structure have something to hide and much to explain” about their involvement in…?
(a) The Holocaust (b) Suicide bombings in Israel (c) The September 11 attacks (d) The assassination of John F. Kennedy